Date: 9/6/19 8:28 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Detroit River Hawk Watch (06 Sep 2019) 73 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 73 215 215

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Kevin Georg

Observers: Andrew Sturgess, John Elliott, Mark Hainen

Visitors:
It was a pleasure to see Miss Jessie, our biologist overlord at the watch
this morning. Otherwise, it was a slow day for visitors as the weather
looked iffy.

Weather:
Another day with many looks, falling barometer with disturbed air all
around. We were forced back to our chariots at one point by light but
persistent rain. Afterwards, a sunny fall day returned for a couple of
hours until once again the sky was darkened by cloud.

Raptor Observations:
The falling barometer forecast would seem to favor the non-buteo birds
today and so it was. We managed a half century of sharpies and double
digits of harriers. After the rain had passed the Sharp-shinned Hawks
starting moving in small groups as they are wont to do.

Non-raptor Observations:
The weather seemed to dampen the enthusiasm of most of the birds around us.
The highlight of the day was watching an osprey make repeated dives on a
bald eagle. The eagle turned upside down in defensive anticipation with
talons at the ready a few times. After about twenty dives, the eagle
finally decided that discretion was the better part of valor as he flew out
of the offended ospreys territory.No raptors were harmed during the course
of this display.

Predictions:
With a mostly rising barometer (there is a dip forecast in the middle of
the day) and winds from WNW going to NW we might expect some sightings of
buteos tomorrow. Not a perfect forecast but certainly more promising than
today.
Report submitted by Detroit River Hawk Watch (<jerry.jourdan...>)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<61e01db96a1384a12761e04efab45bd4...>