Date: 9/6/19 4:59 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (06 Sep 2019) 24 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0
Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 24 133 133

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Bob Hall-Brooks, Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent

Visitors:
Thank you to Noel, Chip, Dana and Bob Hall-Brookes for their visit today
and their help sighting raptors.

Weather:
Today's weather started out warm with very calm winds from the West, but
quickly changed directions to more southerly winds for the rest of the day.
We experienced some rain mid-day, only to finish off with temperatures
rising to 28 degrees Celsius by the end of the day.

Raptor Observations:
Today was all about the Northern Harriers (9) and the Sharp-shinned hawk
(9) migration. Our day finished with two gorgeous female Merlins.
As usual, we were greeted by our local Ospreys, juvenile and adult Bald
Eagle and Turkey Vultures.

Non-raptor Observations:
Today's main attraction came from 296 Monarchs. We also observed many Cedar
Waxwings, Purple Martins, Tree swallows and starlings. We also had a boost
in Ruby-throated hummingbirds. The warblers are slowly starting to migrate,
but did manage to see 5 Wilson's warblers around the tower.
The day's highlight was the sight of an otter swimming in the marsh by the
tower! After carefully looking at a few pictures snapped at the last
second, we are quite positive that what we saw was definitely an otter.
Hopefully, it will make another appearance.

Monarchs: 296
Cedear Waxwings: 180
Purple martins: 128
Tree swallows: 113
Starlings: 128
Ruby-throated humming birds: 22

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59564053

Predictions:
Tomorrow, we are expecting winds from the North in the morning, changing to
North-West later in the day. We hope that these favourable winds will bring
us a steady stream of Northern Harrier, Red-tails, Sharp-shinned and
Cooper's hawks.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<878a79fe89eb38341fc13e10e3946bac...>