Date: 9/6/19 1:02 pm
From: Dan Belter <bwhawk55...>
Subject: [wisb] Shorebirds at the Mead SWA
I did some birding at the Mead State Wildlife Area awhile ago, but only at
South Rice Lake. I was along the road where the drawn down lake butts up
next to the roadside. Highlights include 7 Red-necked Phalaropes and 1
immature Long-billed Dowitcher. Other good shorebirds were several each of
Stilt and Bairds Sandpipers. There has been a Merlin hanging around here
for several weeks now, and I also saw it today chasing the shorebirds
around. Most of the White Pelicans that had been hanging out here were gone
today, but two were present.
If the lake level is still drawn down when birders head northward up to
Jaegerfest in Superior, this might be a good place to stop at when going to
or from this event.

Dan Belter
Marathon County
--