Date: 9/6/19 6:28 am
Subject: Sooty Terns - Cane Creek Park, Union Co., NC
This morning I checked the marsh at Cane Creek Park, hoping for some
shorebirds that may have dropped in from Dorian. Besides killdeer and 2
Solitary Sandpiper I was initially disappointed. However, while scanning
the sky (I was watching a Mourning Dove) I noticed 2 terns flying high and
away, westward towards the main lake. I managed to snap a few poor but
identifiable photos as they flew off. The two were both Sooty Terns, an
adult and juvenile. They flew over the tree line and I lost them. I ran
over to the main park entrance to check the rest of the lake, but no luck.
They were flying pretty high and into the wind.

This is obviously a first record for Union County and I believe only the
third record for the area (I believe Mecklenburg has 2 records, off the top
of my head). Also a lifer for me too!

Good birding,

Martina Nordstrand

Join us on Facebook!