Date: 9/6/19 6:11 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (05 Sep 2019) 6 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 6 33 40

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Beatty Broughton, Gerry Teig, Howard Campbell, Kelley Nunn

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S NIGHTHAWK WATCH & THE LAND CONSERVANCY FOR
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY’S HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (5): Howard Campbell, Gerry Teig, Kelley Nunn, Beaty Broughton
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Sunny (50.75% cloud cover), Ceiling - 11,000-18,000 ft., Visibility
- 10 miles, Temps 65 - 74F, Winds NE @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Bald Eagle,
1-Cooper's Hawk, 1-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous
Black (54) and Turkey Vultures (64).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-_
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On Sept. 5, I
sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a
newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
Driving by, I just had to stop at Wilson Rd. Pond on my way to Bucktoe.
There were Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs and Killdeer, to make my
visit worthwhile.
<BR><BR>
Howard and Gerry were out to Bucktoe early. Howard received
“full-partial credit” for the discovery of a Bald Eagle [Howard loves
his Eagles], as did Kelley for finding a very high, lone Broad-winged Hawk
when she arrived. Nice job, guys!
<BR><BR>
Kelley ventured a walk to our wonderful “Warbler Meadow,” finding
several Black-throated Green Warblers, Magnolia Warblers, American
Redstarts, Chestnut-sided Warblers, and Warbling Vireo. That place really
produces! We shared a COMMON RAVEN sighting before she returned; both
groups hearing and seeing it overhead with Vultures.
<BR><BR>
Not being able to resist, I drifted that way, finding those species plus 5
Canada Warblers, Black-and White Warblers, ,even more Black-throated Green
Warblers, Magnolia Warblers, Chestnut-sided Warblers, American Redstarts,
Warbling Vireos and Red-eyed Vireos. WOW!! It was the best I’ve ever
seen it - and at 1pm! Beaty showed up after this onslaught. So, we took a
third walk there. The birding continued to be fantastic, adding
Blackburnian Warbler, Blackpoll Warblers, and Scarlet Tanager to the above
list. Double WOW!!
<BR><BR>
While I was enjoying this amazing afternoon “fallout,” Mike texted with
news of PHILADELPHIA VIREO [FOY], Little Blue Heron, and his own Canada
Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, and Redstarts, all at the Abbondi section of
Longwood Gardens. Please be aware that his is private property, but these
species are around now and to be looked for.. [MG]
<BR><BR>
After ending a rather productive day at Bucktoe, I stopped at New Garden
WTP. There were Lesser Yellowlegs, Killdeer, and Wood Ducks, but nothing
more exciting.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Killdeer, Warbling Vireos, COMMON RAVEN, American Redstarts, Black-throated
Green Warblers, Black-and-white Warblers, Magnolia Warblers, Blackburnian
Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warblers, Blackpoll Warblers, Canada Warblers,
Bobolinks, Scarlet Tanager, and Blue Grosbeak
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (10): Monarch - 8, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple, Variegated
Fritillary. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags,
Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern
Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 3.23; Steps:
7,566; Floors: 21.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 59; this season:
81
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (6):”
Killdeer, Warbling Vireo, Canada Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, Blackpoll
Warbler, and Scarlet Tanager.

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks Cloudy with some rain. Not the best.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek