Date: 9/5/19 10:27 pm
From: Suzanne Coleman <isooz...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Rollins trumpeter swan family Lake co.
Hi all,

I finally got up to Rollins Savannah to see the lovely Trumpeter swan family.  I was happy to see them as I did.  They were out of sight then flew en force into view all together, grey and white bodies taking up the whole airspace above the back of the main wetland.  All 7 young look well as do the 2 adults.

Also seen was a surprise N. harrier flying around the same area.  Very orangy, young one?  vs. female adult.  I still haven't knowingly seen an adult male... they must be around here somewhere...

Not much else there this evening unfortunately.  Ducks were few and far, had 2 gadwall, possibly more (did they breed here again this year?  probably, but didn't check on this site myself this year).  A few shorebirds wandered the distant mud spit, one killdeer and one ? semipalmated plover but not sure, too tiny.

A couple of common yellowthroats, great egrets, g. blue herons, few migrants in the trees, pewees calling, woodpeckers, pecking, ...

Suzanne Coleman
Cook co. visiting Lake co.

Join us on Facebook!