Date: 9/5/19 5:27 pm
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Subject: RE: [MBBIRDS] Re: Another Red breasted nuthatch
All

Movements of Red-breasted Nuthatches are not as well known in the West as in the East. They tend to be a sign of a failure in conifer cone crops, usually smaller cones, not big pine cones. As Red-breasted Nuthatches are early migrants, they tend to be a leading indicator of a move of northern birds (at least out east), usually various finches. Not sure what it may mean here, and if the movements are local or if the nuthatches may be coming from a long distance away. In short, the West is much more complicated than the East, but this move of nuthatches is something to be keeping track of. Very interesting stuff!

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>

www.alvarosadventures.com