Date: 9/5/19 4:38 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (05 Sep 2019) 32 Raptors

Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 32 109 109

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent

Visitors:
Thank you to Noel, Chip, Dana, Jim, John Barnes and Neil, for keeping their
eyes to the sky.

We would also like to mention the visit of Bob Hall-Brookes and a beautiful
Red-tail hawk and Tim Jarold with a gorgeous after second-year Cooper's
hawk.

Weather:
The day started out with promising winds from the North and North-East, but
quickly changed and ended with winds from the south and a temperature of 28
degrees Celsius.

Raptor Observations:
We observed a variety of species today, mostly Red-tailed hawks (9), some
Northern Harriers (5), Cooper's Hawks (5) and Kestrels (4). We are also
always joined by our resident Ospreys and Eagles (juveniles and adults)
that wander the marsh.

Non-raptor Observations:
Today's highlight was the high numbers of Mallards, Starlings, Cedar
Waxwings and Monarchs. The swallows are still high in numbers but slowly
migrating south. We only observed 8 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, and heard 2
Blue Jays, but are hoping for many more in the coming days.

Mallards: 404
Starlings: 215
Cedar Waxwings: 153
Monarchs: 145
Purple martin: 92
Tree swallows: 126
Barn swallows: 28

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59539522

Predictions:
Tomorrow, we are expecting less favorable winds (Southern and Eastern), but
are still hoping for more Blue Jays, which should signal the arrival of
Sharp-shinned hawks.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<471c36c6b6dbaa8f72613801e2b87c56...>