Date: 9/5/19 9:11 am
Subject: About 270 Common Terns at Falls Lake
Hi all,

There was a large flock of Common Terns at Falls Lake this morning, seen
from Rolling view. I estimated about 270 birds, which appears to be, by
far, a high count for the Triangle area.

There were also 3 Black Terns that were mostly cruising around by
themselves, but I could not see any other species of tern among the group.
That said, I could have easily overlooked one or more of a few similar
species due to distance and did not stay very long to extensively check
them.

I guess there are good odds that they will remain and perhaps more terns
etc will come in today due to Dorian. In other words, might be worth to
have a look there or at Jordan Lake.

Good birding,

Jelmer Poelstra
Durham

--
Jelmer Poelstra
311 Biological Sciences Building, Biology Department

Join us on Facebook!