Date: 9/4/19 4:31 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (04 Sep 2019) 38 Raptors

Swainson's Hawk 1 1 1

Total: 38 77 77

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent

Visitors:
We would like to thank the welcomed help of Neil, Noel and Juliette,
Christine, Jerry Pelon, and John Barnes. We were also visited by Nina
Radley and a feisty female Cooper's hawks. Thanks for stopping by!

Weather:
Today we experienced a warm and slightly windy day with winds from the
North-West, and temperatures hovering around 20 degree Celsius.

Raptor Observations:
Raptors have finally started to migrate over the tower at Holiday Beach! We
observed many Norther Harriers, American Kestrel and Red-tailed Hawks. At
9:30 EST, a Swainson's hawk was spotted at the hawk banding blinds. We are
also surrounded by non-migrating Turkey Vultures, Ospreys, Bald Eagles,
Cooper's Hawks, Northern Harrier and one juvenile Peregrine Falcon that
enjoys chasing the Cormorants in the marsh. At the end of the day, we were
greeted by a Merlin who decided to take a few swings at the plastic owl on
the tower before migrating.

Non-raptor Observations:
Today, we are still observing high numbers of swallows feeding in the
marsh. We observed very numbers of Cedar Waxwing, Mallards, and Monarchs.
We are still waiting for Blue Jays to arrive, to also bring along
Sharp-shinned Hawks.

Purple Martins: 137
Tree Swallow: 121
Barn Swallow: 99
Cedar Waxwing: 232
Mallards: 243
Monarchs: 76

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59516848

Predictions:
Due to today's northwestern winds and the promise of northeastern winds and
warm temperatures tomorrow, we predict more migrating Northern Harriers and
American Kestrels. We also predict more Sharp-shinned Hawks and
Broad-winged Hawks.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<08e13cc5f2321935f99ead55b06d6dd8...>