Date: 9/4/19 2:18 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Joppa Park & Plum Island- 09-04-2019
David Moon and I led today's Wednesday Morning Birding program out of
Joppa Flats Education Center, first to Joppa Park and then on to Plum
Island.  Skies were overcast to partly cloudy; temps in the middle 70s;
and winds S-SW/10-15 mph.

Our list:

Joppa Park --
Black-bellied Plover (~ 50)
Semipalmated Plover - common.
Greater Yellowlegs - common.
Semipalmated Sandpiper - common.
Least Sandpiper (1)
Short-billed Dowitcher (~ 12)
Bonaparte's Gull (~ 50)
Ring-billed Gull (~ 30)
Herring Gull (~ 25)
Rock Pigeon

Plum Island --
Canada Goose (~ 35) - Bill Forward Pool (BFP).
Gadwall (5) - continuing hen with 3 young; 1, North Pool from Hellcat dike.
Mallard - many; BFP.
Blue-winged Teal (3) - BFP.
Green-winged Teal (4) - BFP.
Common Eider (2) - Emerson Rocks.
Common Loon (1) - seven ocean.
Double-crested Cormorant - common.
Great Blue Heron (2) - 1, marsh n. Main Panne; 1, North Pool from
Hellcat dike.
Great Egret (~ 15) - various, throughout marsh.
Osprey (3) - 1, Pines Trail pole.
Red-tailed Hawk (1) - kiting just east of BFP.
[Red-tailed Hawk (1) - atop utility pole, PI Tpk.]
American Avocet (1) - BFP.
Black-bellied Plover (1) - BFP.
Semipalmated Plover - common; BFP.
Greater Yellowlegs - common; BFP & North Pool from Hellcat dike.
Lesser Yellowlegs (5) - North Pool from Hellcat dike.
Sanderling (~ 20) - seven beach.
Semipalmated Sandpiper (~ 20) - BFP.
White-rumped Sandpiper (1) - BFP.
Short-billed Dowitcher (~ 25) - BFP & North Pool from Hellcat dike.
Ring-billed Gull (5) - seven beach.
Herring Gull (2) - seven beach.
Great Black-backed Gull (5) - seven beach.
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove (~ 10) - n. refuge gate house.
Eastern Kingbird (1)
Tree Swallow (1,000s)
Barn Swallow (1)
Gray Catbird (3) - roadside.
Northern Mockingbird (1) - seven boardwalk.
Brown Thrasher (1) - seven boardwalk.
European Starling - not the usual numbers.
Cedar Waxwing (3) - vicinity of lot #7.
Song Sparrow (~ 5) - roadside.
House Finch (4) - lot #7.

We will meet again next week back at Joppa Flats at 0930 for Wednesday
Morning Birding. For more information about Joppa Flats programs, call
David Moon or Dave Larson at 978-462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

Join us on Facebook!