Date: 9/4/19 12:14 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (03 Sep 2019) 6 Raptors

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2019 07:40:33 -0800
From: <reports...>
Subject: Wachusett Mountain (03 Sep 2019) 6 Raptors

Merlin 1 1 3
Peregrine Falcon 1 1 1
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 1

Total: 6 18 110

Observation start time: 08:00:00 Observation end time: 14:45:00 Total
observation time: 6.75 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers: Bill Rasku, Daryl Turek, Ed Norris, George Russell,
Joe Drega, Jon Jones, Ted Mara

Visitors:
More people on the watch than migrating raptors...
Ted Mara and Jon Jones joined me at 8am. Paul Suihkonen
came for an hour at 9. Joe Drega, Ed Norris, Bill Rasku, George Russell and
Daryl Turek joined in the 10am hour.
Laurie made return visit with Ray in morning and
JoAnne Hart in the afternoon. Newcomers on another
visit is always a good sighting!
Hikers and others: a steady trickle of very pleasant
folks all day made for delightful exchanges.

Weather:
Wind at start 0-3 mph (0-4.8 kpm) was the same all
day with 1 exception: 10 am hour was 'breathless'.
Direction was from NW until noon but then became
truly variable, slowly creeping to N-E-S-W and ended
back from the NW by last 45 minutes.
Temperature steady for 2 hours at 60F/15.5C then rose
steadily to 69F/20.6C by closing time.
Cloud cover of 1% at start quickly filled in to 70%
at noon and 80% at the end. Again the local TV's and our few migrating
raptors
demonstrated a tremendous amount of lift available
for all the birds we didn't get!..
Visibility was ok all day: AM 10 mi/16 km and 20/32
for afternoon when humidity dropped and helped clear
the air.

Raptor Observations:
10am hour started with SS high on east side who went
to the S side of hill and peeled SW.
Minutes later a ML appeared high in the NE and came
close to us on N side. Three Common Ravens decided to
team up and the ML nonchalantly rebuffed them all. One
raven attempted payback from below and above just to
our west. We didn't see any feathers fall but raven exited flapping for
cover. The magician rose on thermal
to SW and winged away without looking back.
11am hour started well with a Peregrine adult who came
close in from N to NW and then accelerated S and SW
in an awesome display of powered flight.
Yes, the next bird was at 12:08 and our 3rd falcon--
the AK appeared on east side and arced around the
towers on south side of the deck and off to SW.
At 12:50 a SS was high on east side and moved right
over us An hour later was our last bird ... Osprey
arrived high in the north and came close to us as she
was turning to WSW.

non-migrating: TV 15 seen at one time ..maybe more
since they were around all day; CH 1: perched on ski
slope.

Non-raptor Observations:
non-raptors: Ravens a plenty. We had one group of 14
with 3 more scattered elsewhere; they were up most of the day and
suspect we had more than 17.
Phoebe, Tree Swallow, Chimney Swift, Chickadee, Blue
Jay, Towhee, Red-eyed Vireo, Black-throated Green
Warbler all visited today. Curiously, the normally
seen hordes of Juncoes are not showing yet this year.
Did see a few in August.

Predictions:
Wednesday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 4 pm. Mostly
cloudy, with a high near 80. Southwest wind 9 to 13 mph, with gusts as high
as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

Join us on Facebook!