Date: 9/4/19 7:33 am
From: <phawk254...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Presentation on Urban Raptors at Eastern Mass Hawk Watch Annual Meeting Friday, Sept 6, Woburn 7 p.m.
Cheryl Dykstra, Editor-in-Chief of the JOURNAL OF RAPTOR RESEARCH, will speak on "Urban Raptors: Our Adaptable Wild Neighbors" at the 2019 Eastern Massachusetts Hawk Watch annual meeting Friday September 6. Many raptors species are doing better now than they have for half a century or more by adapting to and exploiting rapidly growing urban environments. Cheryl has been studying urban raptors, including Red-shouldered Hawks, Cooper’s Hawks, and Barred Owls, for decades. Recently, with Clint Boal, she co-edited a book, "Urban Raptors: Ecology and Conservations of Birds of Prey in Cities (2018)." This program should interest anyone who cares about raptors.
Copies of Cheryl & Clint’s new book will be available for purchase at the meeting, and Cheryl will be happy to autograph copies. Other recent raptor books will be sold at the meeting. We’ll also have a brief presentation on "RATS: Raptors Are The Solution," by Mass RATS Director Gary Mennin, describing the devastating impact the widespread use of rodenticides is having on raptors, and suggesting that raptors are indeed a better solution for rodent control.
The meeting will be held on Friday evening Sept. 6 at a NEW “new” location, the air-conditioned WOBURN AMERICAN LEGION, 194 LEXINGTON STREET, WOBURN, MA (the Four Corners). The meeting is free and open to the general public (donations accepted). A social hour with beverages and finger food starts at 6 pm. At 7 pm we start with a brief business meeting followed by Gary’s presentation and a brief break. Cheryl's presentation will start shortly after 8. We’ll also have our very popular raffle, including many books on raptors and some fantastic photography. Everyone is welcome!
For complete information, including driving directions to the new location in Woburn (plenty of free parking), visit the Eastern Mass Hawk Watch web site at massbird.org/EMHW

Best,
Paul
Paul M. Roberts