Date: 9/4/19 5:25 am
From: Ryan Tomazin <wvwarblers...>
Subject: Allegheny Co. - Hilltop Park Nighthawk Watch
All,

Was too busy to post last night. Was 75 minutes of disappointment, ending in 15 minutes of glory. Joe Papp and Michele Mannella counted with me tonight. Our best experiences were closer to twilight, when 3-4 nighthawks came in and began actively hunting the bowl, breezing right around us at eye and knee level.

I will be counting tonight (Wednesday), but probably not tomorrow night. Should be back on Friday.

Common Grackles - 118, coming through in much smaller groups
European Starling - 382, coming through in larger groups now
Cedar Waxwing - 13
Mourning Dove - 21
Chimney Swift - 18
Cooper's Hawk - 1, probably same as Sat. and Sun., giving great, long looks

Nighthawks (timed by my old watch, as compared to Joe's eBird report from his phone, which is accurate and different):
6:47 - 1 bird headed north to south (seen by Joe and Michele before I arrived)
7:11 - 1 bird headed north to south
7:21 - 1 bird headed south to north
7:23 - 1 bird headed north to south
7:26 - 2 birds headed north to south
7:30 - 1 bird headed north to south
7:34 - 2 birds headed west to east
7:44 - 3 birds headed west to east
7:46 - 5 birds headed north to south
7:51 - 3 birds headed north to south
7:52 - 1 bird headed east to west
7:55 - 2 birds headed north to south
7:57 - 2 birds headed north to south
8:06 - 3 birds headed north to south

28 birds (374 for the week)

A few Big Brown Bats were around after sunset, as were a few hundred new mosquitoes.

Cheers,

Ryan Tomazin - Bridgeville, PA

Join us on Facebook!