Date: 9/3/19 7:23 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Detroit River Hawk Watch (03 Sep 2019) 6 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 6 30 30

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Kevin Georg

Observers: Andrew Sturgess, Frank Kitakis

Visitors:
The visitors were thinned out today with the holiday rush over but we did
have some nice conversations with the few that showed.

Weather:
Change was in the air today as the radar looked like a multicolored lava
lamp to the west of us. Barometric pressure was dropping, although not as
much as predicted, and the winds picked up to fairly strong steady winds
from the SW. A cold front should be passing through tonight with possible
high winds and thunderstorms. Clearing is predicted after the front passes.

Raptor Observations:
"Let's fly into a strong SW wind with a dropping barometer" said no raptor
ever...except, of course, for the intrepid harrier. We did see a few today
with their resolute pumping strokes headed south. Not much else although we
did have our first American Kestrel fly over in the morning. Even the gulls
were not as much in evidence today as it made for a slow afternoon with
little to observe.

Non-raptor Observations:
Caspian tern adults continue to be pestered by their offspring begging for
food. The Forster's Tern population seemed to expand dramatically in the
afternoon as their numbers grew from less than ten to about thirty in a
flock. Our first Bonaparte's Gull was spotted, a juvenile bird. Local Bald
Eagles were enjoying the winds and the local Osprey made a couple of
appearances.

Predictions:
If all goes to plan, the day should bring a high pressure system on the
heels of the cold front. This brings the favored NE winds and should bring
some soaring birds with it. Fingers crossed!!
Report submitted by Detroit River Hawk Watch (<jerry.jourdan...>)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<66440aad61f149a639538390b7e29953...>