Date: 9/3/19 6:00 pm
From: scompton1251 <scompton1251...>
Subject: Re: Space available Santee Coastal field trip
Harry,Thanks. I noticed. My step daughter and her wife, and my step son are all medical and emergency personnel in the Charleston area. I lived there 1975-2007 and went through many storms and several evacuations. Four of my photos from the Charleston Christmas Count of 1989 were published in "American Birds", showing Hugo damage on Bulls Island. Craig Watson is a professional biologist who has worked in that area for many years. He will monitor conditions and stay in close communication with the Santee Coastal refuge manager. Thanks for your concern and all you have contributed to ornithology in the Carolinas over the years.Steve ComptonGreenville, SC Sent from my Verizon LG Smartphone------ Original message------From: Harry LeGrandDate: Tue, Sep 3, 2019 4:53 PMTo: Steve Compton;Cc: <carolinabirds...>;<gcbirdclub...>;Subject:Re: Space available Santee Coastal field tripThis isn't a question, but a comment.  As you are based way upstate in Greenville, you may hav
e forgotten that in 2-3 days, Hurricane Dorian may shake up the reserve a bit, with winds potentially of hurricane speed, lots of rain, etc.  So, nobody knows what the place might look like around Sept. 27-28.  You can only hope it is open to the public and ready for visitation then, with most of the RCW cavity trees still standing, the impoundments not full of sand or dikes breached, etc.Of course, this notice involves all coastal birding sites in the Carolinas, as Dorian is expected to move parallel to the coast in the next 2-3 days.  Surely, many coastal birding sites will be off-limits this weekend (Sept. 6-8)..  Security personnel might not let you look for storm birds on the coast this weekend.Harry LeGrandRaleigh  On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 1:04 PM <scompton1251...> wrote:Birders,Craig Watson tells me there is space available on the September 27 field trip to the Santee Coastal Reserve and Delta. I am leading the Saturday, September 28 trip, one of the
trips organized by the Carolina Bird Club. The meeting is headquartered in Summerville this years and has a great variety of trips planed to birding hotspots along the coast and coastal plain. Richard Hayes and I scouted the area recently, and Richard has been back since. The reserve is one of SC's best birding locations, an extensive area of pinelands and old rice fields maintained for waterfowl and other species. By September 27 many fall migrants can be expected, as the SC coast is a funnel of birds following the coast on their way to the tropics. Red-cockaded Woodpeckers have been very reliable along the wooded entrance road, and there are about 20,000 acres of wetlands.  Insects should be only moderately bothersome, but
could be a problem, so insect repellant and long pants and shirtsleeves are highly recommended. Orange clothing IS REQUIRED as there is a bow hunt scheduled. Craig Watson, our local expert who is organizing all the trips, is checking with the refuge manager about water levels. If right, we could have a bonanza of shorebirds. Charleston harbor high tide will be 7:12 AM, so we will look for rails in the impoundments in the morning. See the Carolina Bird Club website for registration details. Hope we see you there!Questions about this trip? Glad to answer. Also you should check eBird lists for birds seen in the reserve and delta around this date in recent years.Steve ComptonGreenville, SC

Join us on Facebook!