Date: 9/3/19 4:01 pm
From: Karen Markey <ylime...>
Subject: [birders] Fall Migrants Field Trip to Hudson Mills Metropark, Sat., Sept. 7, 8 am sharp
Please join me for fall migrants field trip at Hudson Mills Metropark on
Saturday, Sept. 7. We will meet at 8 am sharp at the flagpole in the front
of the Activity Center. If the entry booth is unmanned, you can purchase a
$10 daily parking permit from Metropark staff at the Activity Center.

Our target birds are migrating warblers, vireos, cuckoos, and flycatchers.
Woodpeckers are usually conspicuous at this time of year. The forecast is
perfect -- cool and dry from start to finish, from the mid 50s to low 70s,
and winds from the northwest (which might encourage more migrating birds).

Be prepared for thick dew on the lawn and heavy mosquitoes in migrant-laden
areas (where birds are feasting on the insects). Typically we do lots of
hiking, stalking, standing, and circling back over the same trails. No pets
are allowed on the nature trails. Please, no strollers.

DIRECTIONS #1: From Ann Arbor's north or east sides, head north on US-23
and take exit 49, North Territorial Road. Turn left (west) onto North
Territorial Road and drive about eight to nine miles. A few hundred feet
after passing Huron River Drive, turn left (south) into Hudson Mills
Metropark. Inside the park, take the second right into a large carpark that
ends at the big Activity Center. For info about Hudson Mills, go to
http://www.metroparks.com/ and select Hudson Mills from the "Parks"
pull-down menu. If you reach Dexter-Pinckney Road (where there's a
drive-through coffee shop), you have driven too far west on North
Territorial Road.

DIRECTIONS #2: From Ann Arbor's west side, head westbound on Dexter-Ann
Arbor Road, bearing right (northbound) onto Dexter-Pinckney Road shortly
after passing through the one-lane bridge under the railroad tracks north
of downtown Dexter. Turn right (east) onto North Territorial Road (you
should see the coffee shop on the NW side of the intersection here).
Finally take the next right (south) into the Metropark after passing the
bridge over the Huron River. Inside the park, take the second right into a
large carpark that ends at the big Activity Center.

See you on Saturday, Sept. 7, at 8 am sharp until bird activity slows down,
usually about 11 am. You can leave the group at any time. Just ask me how
to hike back to the Activity Center's carpark. If you have questions,
please message me ASAP.

Karen Markey
Email: <ylime...>
Web: http://ylime.people.si.umich.edu/