Date: 9/3/19 1:53 pm
Subject: Re: Space available Santee Coastal field trip
This isn't a question, but a comment. As you are based way upstate in
Greenville, you may have forgotten that in 2-3 days, *Hurricane Dorian *may
shake up the reserve a bit, with winds potentially of hurricane speed, lots
of rain, etc. So, nobody knows what the place might look like around Sept.
27-28. You can only hope it is open to the public and ready for visitation
then, with most of the RCW cavity trees still standing, the impoundments
not full of sand or dikes breached, etc.

Of course, this notice involves all coastal birding sites in the Carolinas,
as Dorian is expected to move parallel to the coast in the next 2-3 days.
Surely, many coastal birding sites will be off-limits this weekend (Sept.
6-8).. Security personnel might not let you look for storm birds on the
coast this weekend.

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 1:04 PM <scompton1251...> wrote:

> Birders,
>

> Craig Watson tells me there is space available on the September 27 field
> trip to the Santee Coastal Reserve and Delta. I am leading the Saturday,
> September 28 trip, one of the trips organized by the Carolina Bird Club.
> The meeting is headquartered in Summerville this years and has a great
> variety of trips planed to birding hotspots along the coast and coastal
> plain.
>

> Richard Hayes and I scouted the area recently, and Richard has been back
> since. The reserve is one of SC's best birding locations, an extensive area
> of pinelands and old rice fields maintained for waterfowl and other
> species. By September 27 many fall migrants can be expected, as the SC
> coast is a funnel of birds following the coast on their way to the tropics.
> Red-cockaded Woodpeckers have been very reliable along the wooded entrance
> road, and there are about 20,000 acres of wetlands.
>

> Insects should be only moderately bothersome, but could be a problem, so
> insect repellant and long pants and shirtsleeves are highly recommended.
> Orange clothing IS REQUIRED as there is a bow hunt scheduled.
>

> Craig Watson, our local expert who is organizing all the trips, is
> checking with the refuge manager about water levels. If right, we could
> have a bonanza of shorebirds. Charleston harbor high tide will be 7:12 AM,
> so we will look for rails in the impoundments in the morning.
>

> See the Carolina Bird Club website for registration details. Hope we see
> you there!
>

> Questions about this trip? Glad to answer. Also you should check eBird
> lists for birds seen in the reserve and delta around this date in recent
> years.
>

> Steve Compton
>
> Greenville, SC

Join us on Facebook!