Date: 9/3/19 10:25 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Beach-Golden Plover & Baird's Sandpiper Tuesday 9-3-19
Hello Bird People,

Seems to me that the weather forecast for today was that there would
be afternoon rain but as I arrived at Montrose a little after 6 a.m.
there was already a light rain. But Bob H & Amanda T were already out
on the flooded beach so I hurried out there. They were looking at a
molting GOLDEN PLOVER which I also got to see. Later we were joined by
Alex B to view the Plover. But the rain got harder with lightening so
we retreated. The others went home but I waited it out by the beach
house building. Rained from 6:45 until 8:15 when it stopped but then
it was so windy you couldn't use a scope so I gave up temporarily.
Started to leave but it got lighter with no lightening so I did one
last walk down the beach all the way to the Dog Beach. Good thing I
went that far as almost to the Dog Beach was one BAIRD'S SANDPIPER
which was the only shorebird that far down the beach. When I left at
about 10 a.m the Golden Plover was still present & I had just seen the
Baird's. Here's my short list:

Montrose Beach (6:15-10 a.m. with a big break for the rain)

Canada Goose (2, in the fluddle) & Mallard (7, along the shore)
AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER (1)
Semiplamated Plover (eventually up to 9)
Killdeer (1 before the rain but 4 after the rain)
Sanderling (3)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (2)
Least Sandpiper (1 or maybe 2)
BAIRD'S SANDPIPER (1)
Ring Billed Gull (64 before the rain but about 300 after the rain)
Herring Gull (2 before the rain but about 15 after the rain)
Caspian Tern (3-4)
House Sparrow (10-12 by the beach house)

Only saw common birds by the hedge but no migrants. Did not hear the Bobwhite.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the American Golden Plover & Runner-Up to the
Baird's Sandpiper.

Al Stokie
On the Chicago Lakefront today hiding from the rain

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: