Date: 9/3/19 10:04 am
From: <scompton1251...>
Subject: Space available Santee Coastal field trip

Birders,

Craig Watson tells me there is space available on the September 27
field trip to the Santee Coastal Reserve and Delta. I am leading the
Saturday, September 28 trip, one of the trips organized by the
Carolina Bird Club. The meeting is headquartered in Summerville this
years and has a great variety of trips planed to birding hotspots
along the coast and coastal plain.

Richard Hayes and I scouted the area recently, and Richard has been
back since. The reserve is one of SC's best birding locations, an
extensive area of pinelands and old rice fields maintained for
waterfowl and other species. By September 27 many fall migrants can be
expected, as the SC coast is a funnel of birds following the coast on
their way to the tropics. Red-cockaded Woodpeckers have been very
reliable along the wooded entrance road, and there are about 20,000
acres of wetlands.

Insects should be only moderately bothersome, but could be a problem,
so insect repellant and long pants and shirtsleeves are highly
recommended. Orange clothing IS REQUIRED as there is a bow hunt
scheduled.

Craig Watson, our local expert who is organizing all the trips, is
checking with the refuge manager about water levels. If right, we
could have a bonanza of shorebirds. Charleston harbor high tide will
be 7:12 AM, so we will look for rails in the impoundments in the
morning.

See the Carolina Bird Club website for registration details. Hope we
see you there!

Questions about this trip? Glad to answer. Also you should check
eBird lists for birds seen in the reserve and delta around this date
in recent years.

Steve Compton

Greenville, SC

Join us on Facebook!