Date: 9/3/19 5:06 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (02 Sep 2019) 5 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 5 13 20

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 19:00:00
Total observation time: 11 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S NIGHTHAWK WATCH & THE LAND CONSERVANCY FOR
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY’S HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (3): Jim Green, Pam Green
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Cloudy w/Rain (100-70% cloud cover), Ceiling - 900-29,000 ft., Visibility -
4-10 miles, Temps 70 - 80F, Winds NNE/SSE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 4-Red-tailed Hawk,
and numerous Black (41) and Turkey Vultures (55).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-_; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-2
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
I could see only 140 Killdeer as I passed the Polo Fields this morning and
nothing else of note. The weather, particularly early, was not good today
and when the rain let up the winds shifted to the southeast; also not good.

<BR><BR>
I had the hawk watch and then the Nighthawk watch at Bucktoe today.
Between events I checked the New Garden WTP, finding Ring-necked Duck, Wood
Ducks, Killdeer, Spotted Sandpipers, and Lesser Yellowlegs. The
evening’s first Common Nighthawk flew closely past at 5:40pm. Ravens
came by twice this evening.
<BR><BR>
I felt certain I would spend this day of lousy weather alone out here, but
Jim & Pam came to join me, AND with gifts of food. Just where on earth do
so many kind people get the notion that gifts of food and drink are not
only welcomed, but encouraged here at Bucktoe?? I’ll NEVER figure it
out… [lol] Oh well, they were simply thrilled with the performance of
our Nighthawks.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Common Nighthawk, Common Ravens, Bobolinks, and Blue Grosbeaks
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (10): Monarch - 12, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Eastern Tailed Blue, Clouded Sulphur, Orange
Sulphur, Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple, Variegated Fritillary, Cloudless
Sulphur. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted
Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail,
Eastern Gray Squirrel, White-tailed Deer.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.6; Steps:
10,706; Floors: 81.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 46; this season:
72
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):”
none.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks ok, with not much in the way of background clouds
and light NE winds
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description: