Date: 9/2/19 7:46 pm
From: Ryan Tomazin <wvwarblers...>
Subject: Allegheny Co. - Hilltop Park Nighthawk Count
All,

Tonight was not as dramatic as I had guess it would be after the rain last night. Many nighthawks were flying much higher than the previous four nights, and only nine total sighting times.

Cedar Waxwings - 25
Common Grackles - 473, with one group of 190 and one of 100
Killdeer - 1 at dusk

Nighthawks:
6:48 - 1 bird 1/4 mile west of the park on the way in, flying south to northwest
7:01 - 8 birds flying north to south
7:08 - 9 birds flying north to south
7:27 - 1 bird flying north to south
7:51 - 1 bird flying west to east
7:56 - 9 birds flying west to east
8:00 - 8 birds flying north to south
8:05 - 1 bird flying north to south
8:11 - 1 bird flying north to south
*8:12 - 1 bird hawking over the count spot, buzzing me once. I think this is one bird that was working the area earlier tonight

39 birds (346 in 5 nights)

Should continue counting nightly, or close to it, until it looks to dry up (or if I do...). Contact me off list for directions/times.

Cheers,

Ryan Tomazin - Bridgeville, PA

Join us on Facebook!