Date: 9/2/19 6:37 pm
From: Loren Hintz <ldhintz...>
Subject: Pre hurricane coastal birds New Hanover and Onslow
For Labor Day before the Hurricane, I visited  New River Inlet at North Topsail. Scanning the Marsh near the parking lot I found 1 Yellow-crowned Night-heron with a dozen snowy egrets. There were a number of Sandwich and Royal terns and also shorebirds including two spotted sandpipers, black bellied, wilson and semipalmated plovers. At Wrightsville Beach at Mason Inlet a single Black Tern was flying over the marsh. I found one Wilson Plover and many Semipalmated Plovers. Again there were a number of species of Terns and Gulls. Behind the protection posts and string at Masonboro inlet were almost all the birds that I sighted. Lots of Rudy Turnstones, Terns and Razorbills. Also two banded Oystercatchers (EF8 and CT4)

From Loren Hintz Chapel Hill, NC

Join us on Facebook!