Date: 9/2/19 4:29 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan, Illinois Beach South & Illinois Beach Hawkwatch Sunday 9-2-19
Hello Bird People,

Started out with high expectations as on Saturday there were lots of
shorebirds including White Rumped at Montrose & Whimbrel & Buff
Breasted at the South Unit of Illinois Beach. Surely there would be
more of the same today. But that proved to not be the case. The only
shorebirds at Waukegan were Sanderlings on the piers & at Illinois
Beach were 1 Killdeer & 2 Spotted Sandpipers. So much for high hopes!

But we did manage to salvage the day with a better than expected early
Sept day at the Hawk Watch. Here we saw Turkey Vultures, Ospreys, Bald
Eagle (1-IM), Cooper's Hawks, Red Tailed Hawks, Kestrel & Peregrine.
Add to this a Merlin we saw at Illinois Beach South & I had 8 species
of raptors for the day. As opposed to that we only had 3 species of
shorebirds. Goes to show you never know what will be seen.

Other hawks seen by the Hawk Watch crew were Harrier, Sharp Shinned &
Broad Winged but I missed all those as I always miss a few species not
being a very good "hawk watcher".

Bird-Of-The-Day to the flying Peregrine & Runners-Up to the Merlin &
the Bald Eagle.

Al Stokie
In Lake County today & disappointed in the shorebird department

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: