Date: 9/2/19 2:23 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Detroit River Hawk Watch (02 Sep 2019) 24 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 24 24 24

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Kevin Georg

Observers: Andrew Sturgess, Don Sherwood, Mark Hainen, Patrick Mulawa

Visitors:
We had some enthusiastic visitors today, some new to the craft and enjoying
learning. It was a pleasure to teach some of the things we have learned to
such a receptive audience.

Weather:
After getting rained out the first day, the weather was late summer-like
with clear skies on a high barometer in the morning with clouds filling in
and barometer slowly starting to fall in the afternoon hours. Winds tailed
off during the day leaving humid weather with threatening looking clouds
beginning to form. Change is on the way.

Raptor Observations:
We saw our first Broad-winged hawks today including a youngster that flew
close by as the first of the season. A few Red-tailed hawks were seen.
Eagles were seen all day but were deemed to be local birds as none of them
flew with a purpose. Local osprey was noted too.
Most of the migrating birds were seen relatively early and the late
afternoon hours were left to the local birds.

Non-raptor Observations:
Labor Day brings out the boats and we were treated to quite the variety at
the boat launch were we toil away. One vessel had twelve hundred HP hung on
the transom and earned the respect of the gearheads in the crowd.
In the sky, many gulls, swallows, and cormorants needed IDing to make sure
they weren't raptors sneaking through.

Predictions:
Change is in the forecast tomorrow with late afternoon T-Storms and a
plunging barometer. This sets up what looks to be a much better Wednesday
with rising pressure and NE winds.
Report submitted by Detroit River Hawk Watch (<jerry.jourdan...>)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<605bce7f14099134e5819fdd0b154557...>