Date: 9/2/19 1:38 pm
From: Patrick Baize <pkbaize...>
Subject: Re: [birders] What has happened?

I grew up in West Dearborn at Michigan and Brady in the late 60's early 70's and at night the sky was full of bugs and birds with the lights of the car dealership below.
Pat B. Howell, Michigan

On Monday, September 2, 2019, 7:56:46 AM EDT, Rosann Kovalcik <rosannkovalcik...> wrote:

Lack of habitat due to increased amount of human habitat. The world needs less humans. Lack of native plants that produce native insects.
Rosann
On Sep 2, 2019, at 6:54 AM, Chipperatl10 <chipperatl10...> wrote:

The lighting isn’t the same as “back in the day”.  It uses LED lighting https://ballparkdigest.com/2016/02/01/ballpark-preview-jimmy-johns-field/.  It is less “buggy” than traditional lights.   This is another contributing factor along with the cooler weather.  Moth diversity and quantity has rapidly decreased the past couple of weeks.

Gordon Green
Sent from my iPhone
On Sep 1, 2019, at 8:22 PM, Fred Kaluza <fkaluza...> wrote:

I was at a baseball game in Utica last night.  Jimmy John’s Stadium on M-59.  Granted, the evening was a little cool but...with all the high intensity lamps surrounding the stadium and field, during the entire game, we noticed one flying Mantid some House Sparrows and a couple Gulls.  No moths, no June Bugs, no Mayflies, no Katydids no Cicadas and no Mosquitos.  For late Summer, it did not seem right.

On Sun, Sep 1, 2019 at 4:42 PM -0400, "'P. swanson' via Birders" <birders...> wrote:

It wasn’t that many years ago that I used to walk my dogs at night by St. Michael’s Church in Grosse Pointe and both see and hear the nighthawks swooping and diving for insects, not to mention the same at the old Tiger Stadium at night games under the lights.  It reminds me of that old Judy Collins song,“Don’t it always seem to go that you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone,They paved paradise to put up a parking lot”.As Robert Redford once said, “no one cares.” Sad but I’m afraid true. Just look at all the folks still asking for plastic bags at the grocery store.We could all use more nature time.Penny
On Sep 1, 2019, at 4:28 PM, Alan Ryff <alryff...> wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/snow-shadow/albums/72157710643678203

In days goneby when today’s old men were children, ribbons of Nighthawks, sometimes in thehundreds, would stream south just above the rooftops as the sunset gives itsdeepest colors.  And sometimes, themorning sunshine could find a sleeping Nighthawk on nearly every streetlightfor blocks around.  Today this is nolonger so.  Now and then, theneighborhoods along Lake Saint Clair see or hear a single or perhaps a fewNighthawks at a time  pass over in theevening quiet.  Alas, what has happened?

Alan

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<127278681.991160.1567369737515...>

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org