Date: 9/2/19 10:28 am
From: 'George Hammond' via Birders <birders...>
Subject: Re: [birders] What has happened?
On Sep 1, 2019, at 8:22 PM, Fred Kaluza <fkaluza...> wrote:

> I was at a baseball game in Utica last night. Jimmy John’s Stadium on M-59. Granted, the evening was a little cool but...with all the high intensity lamps surrounding the stadium and field, during the entire game, we noticed one flying Mantid some House Sparrows and a couple Gulls. No moths, no June Bugs, no Mayflies, no Katydids no Cicadas and no Mosquitos. For late Summer, it did not seem right.

It wasn’t just slightly cool Saturday night. it was clear and the temp was dropping fast, from 70 at 6 pm to 63 at 8, and by 11 it was down to 53. This after a day that only got to 71 after a night that got down to 49. I think the weather that day all by itself could explain the absence of insects. Sure, lots of insects can fly in cooler temps than that in the spring and fall when they are adapted to it, but not so much in late summer. If it had been sunny and warmer in the afternoon, then you probably would have seen more flying in evening too.

George

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<EC07FB5B-94C4-44B3-9298-72C4F134168A...>

Join us on Facebook!