Date: 9/2/19 10:00 am
From: Ryan Tomazin <wvwarblers...>
Subject: Allegheny Co. - Frick Park EEC Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
Hello All,

Jim Hausman, Bob Mulvihill, their sons and I went over to Frick Park this morning for 2.5 hours, and ground out 40 species or so. A lot of quiet spots. On the trails, we had Magnolia, Blackburnian, Tennessee and Chestnut-sided Warblers, American Redstart, Common Yellowthroat, Great Crested Flycatcher, lots of pewees, catbirds, and the regulars.

Bob had gone back to sit at the Environmental Education Center, and he'd gotten Least Flycatcher, and 1-2 Yellow-bellied Flycatchers. As I have not seen one on the state, or anywhere else for over 20 years, Jim and the young men and I went down below the center to look. I found the Least, and then Jim and I saw a flycatcher flit into the top of a tree. He got on it first and nailed it down as the YBFL as I walked over to get it in a better view. It was a bit drab, but was yellow(ish)-bellied with a wing bar. Too backlit to see a definitive eye ring, and we had to get going, but a good bird, and my 200th in PA this year, which is a crazy high number for me, I think.

By the way, I should be doing the nighthawk watch tonight from 6:45 or so until it is too dark to properly see.

Cheers,

Ryan Tomazin - Bridgeville, PA

Join us on Facebook!