Date: 9/2/19 8:27 am
From: Maeve Kim <maevulus...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Swallow wave Derby
We’ve seen significantly fewer swallows of any species this year than in previous years. There was a very large feeding flock (mixed species) on Caspian Lake on a cold and windy May afternoon, some at Missisquoi NWR headquarters, a few along the South Hero Marsh Trail - but that’s about it. Many areas where we can usually count on swallows just didn’t have any.
Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

> On Sep 2, 2019, at 10:57 AM, Charlie La Rosa <charlie.larosa...> wrote:
>
> I realize that the population trends for many swallow species are downward
> here and in other parts of the world. Given that, I can say anecdotally
> that I live in area where there should be plenty of tree and barn swallows.
> The habitat is good and there are suitable sites for nesting.
> Unfortunately, I have seen only a handful of tree swallows all summer and
> one barn swallow. Are others seeing the same? I wonder how large an area
> comprises the source of Walter's flock. At any rate, I'm glad to know he
> saw them.
> Charlie La Rosa
> So. Washington, VT
>

> On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 10:25 AM Kay Johnson <
> <0000002d57029402-dmarc-request...> wrote:
>
>> That must have been a wonderful sight. I was thinking this weekend that
>> I'd not seen any swallows this year near Hinesburg. Need to visit more hot
>> spots. Kay

Join us on Facebook!