Date: 9/2/19 7:19 am
From: Meredith McBurney <Meredith.McBurney...>
Subject: [cobirds] Bird Conservancy Banding Report - Barr Station, 9/1/19
I want to start today by seconding Dave Leatherman's comment about the
education he receives from his university, Grandview Cemetery. Those of us
who spend a ton of time at one birding site find that we are always
learning new things and/or wondering why, after years in the same place, we
haven't got all the answers!

Yesterday was another hot day, with a relatively moderate number of early
fall birds. Late morning we were treated to a beautiful adult male
Nashville Warbler. And our last bird of the morning was an all too rare
"recovery", banding language for a bird that was originally banded at
another station and then recaught someplace else. See below under Wilson's
Warbler.

Breakdown of the 37 new birds for the day:

Western Wood-pewee 2
House Wren 4
Gray Catbird 1
Orange-crowned Warbler 3
Nashville Warbler 1
Yellow Warbler 8
MacGillivray's Warbler 1
Wilson's Warbler 15 new, 1 recovery. We knew right away from the band
number that this bird was not "ours" - that it had been banded at another
site. The Bird Banding Lab is now very effectively computerized, and I had
an immediate response to my report of this recovery - the bird was banded
by Steve Brown on August 27, 2017 at his Clear Spring Ranch station in El
Paso County. We would have liked a glimpse into where this bird spent its
summer or winter, but any recovery is cool. This bird seems to be pretty
consistent in its fall migration route, although a few days behind last
year!
Yellow-breasted Chat 1

We are open 6 days per week, Tuesday-Sunday, weather permitting, through
October 13. We are opening nets at 6:40 and should have birds back at the
station by 7:20. We will close nets most days at 11:40, with some being
closed earlier as long as this heat continues. School groups arrive most
weekdays at about 9:30. The best time to visit (fewest people, most birds)
is before 9:30 weekdays and Sundays.

Come visit!

Meredith McBurney
Bander, Barr Lake Station