Date: 9/2/19 6:35 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (01 Sep 2019) 8 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 8 8 15

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 19:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S NIGHTHAWK WATCH & THE LAND CONSERVANCY FOR
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY’S HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (29): Mike Gardner, Dan Noznisky, Joseph Timoney Jr., Mary
Coggins, Kris Benarcik, Scott Northey, Margie Cummings, Harvey Rubenstein,
Laureen Eick-Benson, Carol Majors, Jean-Marie Gauthier, Cathy Huneke, Lana
Glass, Sharon Milner, John Bradley, Elisabeth Bradley, Al Guarante, Jerry
Jeffers, Susan Jeffers, Sue McLaughlin, Ken Reynolds, Ann & Ted Wilson,
Mike & Evelyn Fowles, Fran DeMillion, Bob & Rhoda McNitt
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Sunny (50-75% cloud cover), Ceiling - 26,000-21,000 ft., Visibility
- 10 miles, Temps 64 - 80F, Winds E-SE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (32) and Turkey Vultures (55).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-2; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On August 29, I
sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a
newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
Today is to be exceptionally busy, starting with our regular walk at
Bucktoe. When I arrived I discovered that Al already was deserving of
“full-partial credit” for the discovery of an OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER.
We had a lot of people who wanted to see WARBLERS on today’s walk, and
Bucktoe did not disappoint. There had been few this fall…until today.
We saw several groups during our 3.5 mile hike around the Preserve;
especially in “Warbler Meadow.”
<BR><BR>
18 people saw 56 species, highlighted by Black-billed Cuckoo, OLIVE-SIDED
FLYCATCHER, Black-and-white Warblers, Black-throated Blue Warbler,
Black-throated Green Warbler, Northern Parula, Magnolia Warbler, American
Redstarts, Bobolinks, and Blue Grosbeaks.
<BR><BR>
Afterwards, I went to continue TLC’s Hawk Watch which began today.
Finally, the Nighthawk Watch completed a full day of birding at Bucktoe.
<BR><BR>
Between the events, I made brief visits to the Polo Fields where I set a
record for Killdeer with 225. I also added my second shorebird species
for the fall here with a Least Sandpiper and a Bobolink flyover. A stop at
New Garden WTP revealed Lesser Yellowlegs and Wood Ducks.
<BR><BR>
At the Hawk Watch and Nighthawk Watch, “Grillmaster Jerry” worked his
magic on the grill. Bob, Rhoda, Evelyn, Mike, Ann and Ted all showed up
together. Rhoda brought a hoagie for me. Can you imagine? Where on earth
did she get the notion that gifts of food and drink would be accepted here
at Bucktoe?? Fran showed up last. Out of character for her… lol
<BR><BR>
Some of the highlights of our day were other wildlife we encountered,
including 2 Cloudless Sulfurs among the 11 species of butterflies and a
Meadow Jumping Mouse.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Black-billed Cuckoo, Common Nighthawks, OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, Blue-Gray
Gnatcatchers, Bobolinks, Black-and-white Warblers, American Redstarts,
Northern Parula, Chestnut-sided Warblers, Black-throated Blue Warbler,
Black-throated Green Warbler, and Blue Grosbeaks
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (11): Monarch - 25, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Eastern Tailed Blue, Clouded Sulphur,
Red-spotted Purple, Orange Sulphur, Buckeye, Sachem, American Lady,
Cloudless Sulphur. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags,
Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (3): Eastern
Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, Jumping Mouse.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.25; Steps:
9,969; Floors: 49.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 57; this season:
72
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (8):”
Red-eyed Vireo, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Chipping Sparrow, Black-and-white
Warbler, Northern Parula, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Black-throated Blue
Warbler, and Black-throated Green Warbler.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks a bit iffy with some rain possible
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek