Date: 9/2/19 6:16 am
From: Fred Kaluza <fkaluza...>
Subject: Re: [birders] What has happened?

I’ll give you that Gordon, that’s certainly part of the answer and although I dislike light pollution, I’m happier knowing that LED lighting seems to be less attractive to insects in general.  Still not as good as plain old darkness however.

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 6:54 AM -0400, "Chipperatl10" <chipperatl10...> wrote:

The lighting isn’t the same as “back in the day”.  It uses LED lighting https://ballparkdigest.com/2016/02/01/ballpark-preview-jimmy-johns-field/.  It is less “buggy” than traditional lights.   This is another contributing factor along with the cooler weather.  Moth diversity and quantity has rapidly decreased the past couple of weeks.

Gordon Green
Sent from my iPhone
On Sep 1, 2019, at 8:22 PM, Fred Kaluza <fkaluza...> wrote:

I was at a baseball game in Utica last night.  Jimmy John’s Stadium on M-59.  Granted, the evening was a little cool but...with all the high intensity lamps surrounding the stadium and field, during the entire game, we noticed one flying Mantid some House Sparrows and a couple Gulls.  No moths, no June Bugs, no Mayflies, no Katydids no Cicadas and no Mosquitos.  For late Summer, it did not seem right.

On Sun, Sep 1, 2019 at 4:42 PM -0400, "'P. swanson' via Birders" <birders...> wrote:

It wasn’t that many years ago that I used to walk my dogs at night by St. Michael’s Church in Grosse Pointe and both see and hear the nighthawks swooping and diving for insects, not to mention the same at the old Tiger Stadium at night games under the lights.  It reminds me of that old Judy Collins song,“Don’t it always seem to go that you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone,They paved paradise to put up a parking lot”.As Robert Redford once said, “no one cares.” Sad but I’m afraid true. Just look at all the folks still asking for plastic bags at the grocery store.We could all use more nature time.Penny
On Sep 1, 2019, at 4:28 PM, Alan Ryff <alryff...> wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/snow-shadow/albums/72157710643678203

In days gone
by when today’s old men were children, ribbons of Nighthawks, sometimes in the
hundreds, would stream south just above the rooftops as the sunset gives its
deepest colors.  And sometimes, the
morning sunshine could find a sleeping Nighthawk on nearly every streetlight
for blocks around.  Today this is no
longer so.  Now and then, the
neighborhoods along Lake Saint Clair see or hear a single or perhaps a few
Nighthawks at a time  pass over in the
evening quiet.  Alas, what has happened?

Alan

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<127278681.991160.1567369737515...>

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org