Date: 9/2/19 3:03 am
From: John Fussell <jofuss...>
Subject: Long-billed Curlew and Reddish Egrets at east Shackleford Banks, NC
Yesterday, Steve Howell and I saw a Long-billed Curlew and 3 Reddish Egrets
near the SE end of Shackleford Banks.

The tide was high (extremely high) in the morning and at that time we
checked the ocean (bight) side of the island, where shorebirds frequently
congregate when water levels are high. That is when we saw the Long-billed
Curlew and a Reddish Egret. 158 Marbled Godwits were a nice count.

Because of the threat of rain and probably also because of hurricane
publicity there were almost no other people there in the morning, a bizarre
occurrence for a Sunday, especially on Labor Day weekend.

When the tide started to fall, we spotted 3 Reddish Egrets on the "Hidden
Flats". All were dark-morph adults. (We assume that one of them was the
one we had seen on the ocean side earlier.)

(Because of the strong threat of rain yesterday morning, including lots of
rain and thunderstorms lurking just offshore, it was with some hesitation
that we made our trip to east Shack--where there is no sort of shelter.
After we got out there, showers also started popping up on the adjacent
mainland, but we never got more than a couple of very light sprinkles where
we were.)

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC

Join us on Facebook!