Date: 9/1/19 6:19 pm
From: GLENN D'ENTREMONT <gdentremont1...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Lark Sparrow-Wardens @ Plum Island 9/1/19
Found a Lark Sparrow today at the Wardens at Plum Island. Bird actively feeding in the grasses in front of and on the side of large north building with several garage doors. Easily seen from parking area during our stay. Just after I said to Ernie with so many LASPs being seen in eastern MA let's find one here. Don't you love it when a plan comes together!

NO flight today. Very few migrants; only summer residents and few number of them.

First flock of migrating cormorants (50).

Other birds of note from Plum (almost all from Bill Forward Pool):

AMERICAN AVOCET 1 male continuing (based on bill structure), constantly following the foraging cormorants which created waves as they followed what ever food with the attendant contingent of Snowy Egrets, and Greater Yellowlegs while dowitchers and stilt sandpipers got out of their way. The process began at the south end of Bill Forward Pool and continued north with the cormorants swimming back to the south and the egrets, yellowlegs and avocet flying south to begin the process all over again.

Western Sandpipers 4 (stage island and 3 @ pans) Constantly moving as cormorants would be hunting below the algae and emerging suddenly causing the shorebirds to flush.

Still sandpiper 5

Long-billed Dowitcher out numbering SBs

Pectoral Sandpiper 2

Red Knot 11

Whimbrel 2

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron 1 juv

Northern Shoveler 1

White-rumped Sandpiper 14

Glenn

Glenn d'Entremont: <gdentremont1...> Stoughton, MA

Join us on Facebook!