Date: 9/1/19 5:39 pm
From: Ryan Tomazin <wvwarblers...>
Subject: Allegheny Co. - Hilltop Park Nighthawk Count
Hello All,

The storms stayed out of my area, but there was some buildup just to the east, and that big storm to the northwest west of the airport, so I anticipated a funneling effect. It worked out that way, with more birds tonight by far than the last three count nights combined. It took them a while to get started, and they shut down early, but when they did fly...

Fonda Hollenbaugh watched with me tonight, and my new local friend Prakesh now know the birds and had seen the first big batch over Heidelberg the same time we did. It is fun getting people excited about birds and nature and migrations.

Common Grackles - only 138 tonight
Bald Eagle - 1 adult waaaay N/NE towards the city. I mean, like 2-3 miles away
Cooper's Hawk - 1 again
Red-tailed Hawk - 1 assumed local that was hunting

Nighthawks:
7:01 - 70 birds exploded up from Heidelberg (seen by Prakesh too, as he walked the trails on that hilltop, and when he saw me, he asked/surmised it was a 'record-breaking' evening for the fledgeling watch site), eventually southbound
7:02 - 10 birds overhead, headed south to north
7:07 - 1 bird headed southwest to northeast
7:08 - 1 bird headed southwest to northeast
7:11 - 2 birds headed west to east
7:12 - 17 birds headed west to east
7:13 - 3 birds headed west to east
*7:17 - 23 birds feeding over Heidelberg (not in count, as I figure them to be some of the birds already counted)
7:19 - 1 bird headed west to east
7:34 - 34 birds headed north to south (a tight migrating flock, flapping due south with no variation or stopping)
7:43 - 21 birds headed north to south (a tight migrating flock, flapping due south with no variation or stopping)
8:05 - 1 bird headed north to south

161 birds total (307 in 4 nights)

Tomorrow evening looks clear, and it will be interesting to see how many the storm held back. I should be there.

Cheers,

Ryan Tomazin - Bridgeville, PA

Join us on Facebook!