Date: 9/1/19 4:50 pm
From: K Springer <springer0707...>
Subject: 41 Common Nighthawks - FOREST COUNTY
I was watching from my usual spot on Dawson Run Road, West Hickory, PA at
the Hemlock Creek Bridge when they started arriving:

6:46 p.m. 9
6:47 p.m. 2
6:48 p.m. 14
6:51 p.m. 1
6:54 p.m. 3
6:56 p.m. 2
7:02 p.m. 4

They were coming from a slightly different direction than all of my
previous encounters...just slightly off coming directly down Hemlock Creek.
They were higher up than usual too.

At 7:10 p.m. they started reversing their flight pattern. We have a bad
storm coming in, so I think they were headed back to their nightly roost.

At 7:14 p.m. we had a kettle of 13! At 7:16 p.m. the kettle totalled 31!
This was very, very exciting. This was my first kettle of Nighthawks, and I
actually got a picture with at least 11 of them. They all started heading
back the way they came, but about 9 more followed after that, and probably
a few more. It got hard to count. They were still flying around at about
7:33 p.m. when I finally decided to go home and go in the house.

Kim Springer
Mercer County, PA

Join us on Facebook!