Date: 9/1/19 4:16 pm
Subject: Red Crossbills at Carver’s Gap/ Kenn & Kim Kaufman
I attended on Saturday Friends of Roan Mountain Naturalist Rally ( the 57 th Annual) mainly to hear and see Kenn and Kim Kaufman speak. The Kaufman’s gave an excellent talk on bird migration ( Kenn has a new book on the topic) and Kim enthusiastically spoke of McGee Marsh and the Black Swamp Bird Observatory of NW Ohio. Red Crossbills were seen and well photographed during the Saturday morning field trips at Carver’s Gap. I was on a geology of the Roan Highlands field trip on Saturday afternoon but no crossbills were to be seen. I got up to Carver’s Gap at about 8:30 this morning and it did not take long to find the crossbills. They were literally on the border and flying back and forth. In fact on one occasion I followed them from Carter Co. TN into Mitchell Co. NC. For a while they posed on the top rail of the split rail fences lining the highway. A wonderful morning to be in the mountains.

Monroe Pannell
Conover NC
Catawba County

Join us on Facebook!