Date: 9/1/19 3:28 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (31 Aug 2019) Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 7 7

Observation start time: 13:00:00
Observation end time: 19:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Beatty Broughton, Evelyn Fowles, Mike Fowles

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S NIGHTHAWK WATCH & THE LAND CONSERVANCY FOR
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY’S HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4): Evelyn & Mike Fowles, Beaty Broughton
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Sunny (25-50% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 80 - 71F, Winds North @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 3-Red-tailed Hawk,
and numerous Black (7) and Turkey Vultures (18).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On August 29, I
sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a
newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
I made a couple of quick stops on the way to Bucktoe today, finding only
numerous Killdeer at the Polo Fields where they were busily readying the
fields for tomorrow’s match, and Killdeer, Least Sandpipers, Spotted
Sandpipers and Wood Ducks at Somerset WTP.
<BR><BR>
Arriving at Bucktoe, I was in anticipation of another flight of Nighthawks
like last night’s. That was fun! What would have been more fun are
people being here to share it with me. I hate witnessing the wonders of
nature by myself. The memory is so enhanced with others to share it,
don’t you think? Two nights ago we had lots of people and barely two
Nighthawks. Last night we had only me and 129 Nighthawks! Hmmm, what’s
wrong with that math?? We’ll hope for more Nighthawks AND especially
more people tonight to enjoy them! A Yellow-breasted Chat was a surprise
singing near the feeders. Well, it was murmuring; quietly sort of singing
as some birds do in the fall.
<BR><BR>
Mike & Evelyn showed up just in time to see and hear our COMMON RAVENS and
Barred Owl. Nice timing, guys! Beaty, who wants Raven, just missed them!
What can I say? You are due, Beaty!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Common Nighthawks, Great Blue Heron, COMMON RAVEN, Barred Owls, Screech
Owl, Yellow-breasted Chat, Blue Grosbeaks, and Bobolinks
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (9): Monarch - 15, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Eastern Tailed Blue, Clouded Sulphur, Orange
Sulphur, Buckeye, Variegated Fritillary, Fiery Skipper. Dragonflies (3):
Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 3.84; Steps:
9,011; Floors: 6.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 47; this season:
64
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
Yellow-breasted Chat.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks building clouds and light northerly winds.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek