Date: 9/1/19 12:00 am
From: M. H. Wallace <pooder...>
Subject: [Birdtalk] Blogging Birds: Telling Informative Stories About the Lives of Birds from Telemetric Data (Featuring Red Kites)
Here is an article (technical and rather detailed) that may be of
interest to a few in this group. (It is not a short read, nor is it
likely to be of interest to the more casual birder. Techies on the other
hand, may be in for a treat...)

Blogging Birds: Telling Informative Stories About the Lives of Birds
from Telemetric Data
<https://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2019/3/234928-blogging-birds/fulltext>
By Advaith Siddharthan, Kapila Ponnamperuma, Chris Mellish, et al.
Communications of the ACM, March 2019, Vol. 62 No. 3, Pages 68-77.

"/Blogging birds is a novel artificial intelligence program that
generates creative texts to communicate telemetric data derived from
satellite tags fitted to red kites — a medium-size bird of prey — as
part of a species reintroduction program in the U.K. We address the
challenge of communicating telemetric sensor data in real time by
enriching it with meteorological and cartographic data, codifying
ecological knowledge to allow creative interpretation of the
behavior of individual birds in respect to such enriched data, and
dynamically generating informative and engaging data-driven blogs
aimed at the general public./"

Blogging Birds on Vimeo <https://vimeo.com/317093094>

While the blog is no longer maintained, here's demo of Blogging Birds
<http://redkite.kmi.open.ac.uk/MavenKiteWeb/blog/>.

Finally, here's a write-up on Blogging Birds
<https://robertmcgrath.wordpress.com/2019/03/05/blogging-birds/> by
Robert McGrath.

Happy Birding!

Matthew Wallace
East Millcreek.

(P.S. If you hit a pay-wall, I don't think you will, but if you do and
you want a copy of the article then please send me a note...)