Date: 8/31/19 6:06 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bake Oven Knob (31 Aug 2019) 59 Raptors
Bake Oven Knob
2 miles North of Germansville, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Aug 31, 2019

Black Vulture 7 40 40
Turkey Vulture 12 138 138
Osprey 6 24 24
Bald Eagle 8 41 41
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 3 16 16
Cooper's Hawk 1 6 6
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 11 98 98
Red-tailed Hawk 8 60 60
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 2 7 7
Merlin 0 5 5
Peregrine Falcon 0 3 3
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 1 26 26

Total: 59 464 464

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Rick Morrissey

Observers: Rick Gaeta, Rob Keith

Visitors:
The highlight of our day were two visitors, Yessit and Laura, from
Brooklyn, New York. First on their list of sightings were Lanternflies,
which was no problem. Yessit attempted to stomp two at once, he's 0-2,
but is committed to be this demon fly's worst nightmare. The beauty of
this day is that after the failed lantern stomp, we pointed out an immature
Bald Eagle which put on a great show for Laura and Yessit. We lent our
binoculars (a rarity for me) and pointed out the eagle's white belly,
projected head, and steady flight. A treat for all concerned, again, made
our day.

Weather:
A pleasant day with great visibility. Partly cloudy with a temperature
range of 63 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit with variable light winds 1-7 mph,
generally from the North-Northwest.

Raptor Observations:
First raptor of the day right at the start of the count was an Osprey.
Binoculars were still in the backpack, naked eye, Osprey was eye level
riding the updraft no doubt, no second thoughts needed. The first seven
raptors were all eagles and ospreys, a great start indeed!

Bald Eagles (8): Adult (0910), Adult (0953), Adult (1020), Imm (1119),
Adult (1313), Imm (1412), Adult (1512), Imm (1535)

Non-raptor Observations:
We counted 7 hummingbirds, 17 Monarchs, a Great Blue Heron, two Pileated
woodpeckers, 2 Ravens, a skein (wedge) of 18 Canada geese, and 9 parasails
hovering off of slope one for more than an hour.

Predictions:
Mainly cloudy with a 20% chance of stray shower or thunderstorm. A high
temperature of 77 degrees Fahrenheit. Winds are forecasted to be light and
variable, generally 5 mph from the East-Southeast.

Report submitted by Bob Hoopes (<rehoopes...>)
Bake Oven Knob information may be found at:
www.lgnc.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=399

Join us on Facebook!