Date: 8/31/19 1:52 pm
From: <gp_arts39...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET September DuPage Birding Club Field Trips
Please note: Last-minute changes are posted on dupagebirding.org/field-trips.

Migration season is upon us! Birds are flying south towards their wintering habitat and are stopping in DuPage County to rest and fuel up for their journey. There are opportunities for all types of birders to participate and enjoy the season. Participants, please remember that the weather and trail conditions can be variable. Many times biting insects are present and temperatures are high. Please dress accordingly and bring insect repellent and water. We expect everyone to enjoy birding in a safe manner. This trip list and other club information are on our DBC website at http://www.dupagebirding.org/ http://www.dupagebirding.org/

Tuesday, September 3, 7:30 am
Bemis Woods North, Western Springs
Fall migration is getting started! The trails of Bemis Woods North are a great place to look for migrants. Meet by the metal bridge at Bemis Woods North. The entrance is on the west side of Wolf Road, north of Ogden and just south of 31st Street. Drive to the metal bridge near the far end of the road. Trails may be muddy or slippery following rains. Please wear appropriate shoes and clothing; be prepared with insect repellent. If time and interest allow we may also spend some time in Salt Creek Woods or Bemis South. All levels of birder are welcome.
Leader: Lesa Hipes, <lhipes...>

Saturday, September 7, 7:30 am
McKee Marsh, Warrenville
Join our morning walk around the marsh to check out check out fall migrants as well as resident birds. We hope to see migrant waterfowl. Meet at the visitor parking lot on the north side of Mack Rd, located between Winfield Rd and Rt 59 in Warrenville. Most of our walk will be on limestone and earthen trails; wear appropriate shoes and clothing. Please bring a scope if you have one.
Leader: Kyle Wiktor <Kwiktor...>

Friday, September 13, 6:00 pm
Know Your Neighborhood: Glen Ellyn
The eighth of twelve “Know Your Neighborhood” trips, exploring hidden gems, odd and under-birded hot spots in DuPage County, we will explore Churchill Park, looking for migrant species such as thrushes and warblers. Meet at the Churchill Park parking lot located at 314 St. Charles Rd. From there we will walk paved trails around the small park before driving to the ComEd substation to search for Monk Parakeets. As always, we will go to dinner afterwards!
Leader: Glenn Perricone, 630-687-2921, <gperricone...>

Saturday, September 14, 7:00 am
Montrose Migration, Chicago Lakefront
(Pre-registration required)
The Montrose Dunes, Beach and Magic Hedge can hold lots of birds during fall migration. Exit Lakeshore Drive at Montrose going east towards the lake, turn right at the bait shop, and after a block or so park along the side of the road. We will meet at the entrance of the “magic hedge” path at the sidewalk, which is across from the boat harbor. Be there on time, or you may encounter parking problems and traffic congestion! Advance registration requested, so contact can be made with registrants if the access/parking situation changes (large scale events held with only limited notice are often a problem at this location.)
Leader: Bob Fisher, <bfisher928...>

Saturday, September 14, 7:30 am
Cantigny Park, Wheaton
All are invited to Cantigny's first-ever Big Sit, on top of the park's new Butterfly Hill. The challenge is to see how many species we can spot from one place. Come for an hour or stay all day! Parking fee waived for birders arriving before 11 am. Bring a folding chair, sunscreen and snacks. Cantigny will provide bottled water.
Leader: Jeff Reiter, <jreiter...>

Sunday, September 15 8:30 am
Fermilab, Batavia
Join an official site monitor as we look for fall migrants and remnant breeders in the famed Sparrow Hedge area. This will be a 3-4 hour walk, on mowed (not paved) paths. Bug spray is strongly recommended. Meet at the red (Anderson) barn parking lot at the end of Sauk Circle (turn left at the first stop sign after entering Fermi lab on Batavia Rd. from Rt 59). The gates open at 8 a.m. The guard will ask to see a driver’s license. When asked, tell the guard you are there for birding. From the Kirk Rd gate, follow Pine St. through, and Sauk Circle is the next stop sign after Eola Rd.
Leader: Glenn Perricone, 630-687-2921, <gperricone...>

Sunday, September 29, 7:30 am
Springbrook Prairie, Naperville
This is a morning field trip. Meet at the Model Airplane Field Parking Lot on Plainfield- Naperville Rd. south of 75th St. in Naperville. The trip will focus on fall migrants in the grassland and wetland habitats of Springbrook with special emphasis on locating Sharp- tailed Sparrows. Springbrook is among the best sites to find Sharp-tailed Sparrows in the fall, and Joe has been able to find them on previous trips to this location. Wear waterproof boots since the area around the marsh and early morning vegetation is likely to be wet.
Leader: Joe Suchecki, 630-369-5570, <jsuchecki...>

Call us if you have questions about the trips or if you would like to lead a trip. Leaders do not have to be birding experts, just familiar with the location. There is no need to register for trips unless otherwise indicated. Visitors are always welcome. We do not charge fees for birding trips. Field trip information is also found at: www.dupagebirding.org http://www.dupagebirding.org

Join us on Facebook!