Date: 8/31/19 12:55 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Big Day For Sanderlings At Waukegan & Illinois Beach South Sat 8-31-19
Hello Bird People,

Had almost 100 Sanderlings between Waukegan & Illinois Beach. Had only
5 species of shorebirds at those 2 places but added 5 more at Techny
North on the way home for a total of 10 shorebird species for the day.
Birded with Bob E, Andy Stewart & Annette M at Waukegan, Bob & Andy at
Illiniois Beach, saw Ann H at Spring Bluff & was joined by Amanda T at
Techny North.

Waukegan Beach (6:15-7:15 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (75 fly-bys in 2 flocks)
Canada Geese (11, at the gravel pond)
Killdeer (2 on the lawns)
Semipalmated Plover (1)
Sanderling (28, but later Annette saw many more)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (1)
BAIRD'S SANDPIPER (1)
Ring Billed (26) & Herring (8) Gulls
BONAPARTE'S GULL (1-IM)
Mourning Doves, Barn Swallows, Starlings & Red Wings

Illinois Beach South Unit (7:30-9:30 a.m.)

(Bob & Andy did inland land birds but I just did the beach.)

D.C. Cormorant (2 fly-bys)
GREEN WINGED TEAL (3 flying, spotted by Andy)
Killdeer (1) & Semipalmated Plover (4)
Sanderling (68)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (1)
Ring Billed (19) & Herring (5) Gulls
Caspian Tern (4 fly-bys)
Chimney Swifts (lots!)
Barn Swallows (12)

The only interesting bird at State Line Beach was a Bonaparte's Gull
with badly formed bill
but it seemed to be doing fine anyway.

At Spring Bluff F.P. I saw 6 Great Egrets whereas I had almost 30
there last week.

Techny North (12:40-1:10 p.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (2)
Great Blue Heron (1) & Great Egret (1)
Canada Goose (43), Wood Duck (5) & Mallard (11)
Red Tailed Hawk (2 flying, 1 an adult & 1 a young one)
Killdeer (15)
Solitary (4), Spotted (2), Least (9) & Pectoral (1) Sandpipers
Wilson's Snipe (1)
Only land bird was an Eastern Kingbird spotted by Amanda.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Baird's Sandpiper which was on the small side
but still a Baird's.
Runners-Up to the 2 Bonaparte's Gulls & the Snipe.

Al Stokie
In both Lake & Cook Co's today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: