Date: 8/31/19 2:02 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (30 Aug 2019) Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 7 7

Observation start time: 13:00:00
Observation end time: 19:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S NIGHTHAWK WATCH & THE LAND CONSERVANCY FOR
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY’S HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (1): Just me. Where was everybody tonight??
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Sunny (10% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10 miles, Temps
85 - 76F, Winds SW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-tailed Hawk,
and numerous Black (9) and Turkey Vultures (25).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On August 29, I
sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a
newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
A micro-thin layer of very high cirrus clouds was over the Bucktoe Hawk
Watch when I arrived - far better than what’s bearing down on Florida,
right? Dorian is expected to be a category 4 hurricane when it strikes the
sunshine state sometime Monday, before turning north and heading our way.
By the time this blog goes out, we may be anticipating remnants effecting
our region. As for today, our high clouds may offer bit of background to
more easily spot hawks and later, Nighthawks. Right now though, a couple
of interesting birds decided to share one of our feeder snags. A female
Baltimore Oriole and a male Blue Grosbeak. I’m a bit spoiled by the
color on display, I must say. On the drab side, that same snag hosted a
small empid [flycatcher] for much of the time I was here. Almost certainly
a Willow Flycatcher [they breed right here], but par fort the course at
this season, not a sound was made to confirm this suspect’s identity.
There was only a weak eye ring. Can’t eliminate Alder, so it is a UFO.
A beautiful sunset of red and purple hues, was only enhanced by what
happened next. I had my first Common Nighthawk at 6:53pm. Lots more
followed, swinging wildly over the Red Clay Creek valley and directly
overhead. Where was everybody tonight to witness this spectacular display?
You missed quite a show! There were 129 Nighthawks in all.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Great Blue Heron, Common Nighthawks, Blue Grosbeak, and Bobolinks
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (14): Monarch - 14, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple, Variegated Fritillary, Silver-spotted Skipper, Red Admiral,
Cloudless Sulphur. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags,
Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (3): Eastern
Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, Meadow Vole.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 2.76; Steps:
6,476; Floors: 8
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 41; this season:
63
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):”
nothing.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a decent day; lots of background clouds with
light northerly winds.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description: