Date: 8/30/19 7:40 pm
From: Walter Marcisz <wmarcisz...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Calumet migrants (shorebirds & passerines) (Cook Co., 8-30-19)
Shorebird & passerine migration was well in force in the Calumet area (southeast Chicago & adjacent suburbs) on Friday, 30 August 2019. Of most importance, water levels are finally coming down in the Calumet area, and shorebird habitat (i.e. mudflats) is present at some of the locations I checked (most notably Harborside Golf Course & Burnham Prairie). Notable sightings from the areas I visited on 30 August are listed below:
Eggers Grove Forest Preserve, Chicago-Swainson's Thrush (6)Ovenbird (1)Northern Waterthrush (1)Black-and-white Warbler (1)Bay-breasted Warbler (1)Chestnut-sided Warbler (1)Rose-breasted Grosbeak (2)(In addition, I also saw 1 Giant Swallowtail butterfly at the Eggers slag flats)
Calumet Park, Chicago-Least Flycatcher (1)Veery (1)Swainson's Thrush (14)Black-and-white Warbler (1)Mourning Warbler (1)American Redstart (1)Magnolia Warbler (1)Chestnut-sided Warbler (2)Blackpoll Warbler (2)Canada Warbler (1)Rose-breasted Grosbeak (1)
Harborside Golf Course (all birds were on distant rocky islands - spotting scope is required at this location)-Northern Shoveler (1)Black-belled Plover (1 adult)Pectoral Sandpiper (2)Caspian Tern (33)
Burnham Prairie Nature Preserve-Blue-winged Teal (75)Green-winged Teal (10)Least Sandpiper (4 juveniles)Pectoral Sandpiper (1)Semipalmated Sandpiper (1 juvenile)Short-billed Dowitcher (1 juvenile)Solitary Sandpiper (1)Greater Yellowlegs (1 juvenile)Lesser Yellowlegs (1)Bald Eagle (1 juvenile)
Walter MarciszChicago, Cook Co.

Join us on Facebook!