Date: 8/30/19 10:52 am
From: outfresh via Birders <birders...>
Subject: [birders] Rabies incidence in Michigan
 See below for the current number of positive cases of rabies in 2019 in Michigan. You'll note 3 positive bats in Washtenaw so far this year. Keeping them out of your home is key, as you have no way of knowing if they've bitten you. If you have to cap a chimney, you might consider putting up a bat house nearby that they can roost in. We all know bats are generally good to have around, as they are active while we are sleeping and eat tons of insects. Although sometimes we see the "Cujo" type rabid animal that is aggressive, more frequently we see the "dumb form" for rabies where they are just sick and dying....and falling into our homes from attics or soffits.
Ten years ago, in my fenced backyard in Ann Arbor, my dog cornered a skunk in the middle of the day. I found it odd that the skunk didn't spray and was actively attacking the dog. Ultimately, the dog killed it, and, out of an abundance of caution, I submitted it for rabies testing. It was positive, and so where 6 other skunks in A2 that summer. Please take bats in the house and wildlife behaving strangely seriously.
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/emergingdiseases/Current_MI_Rabies_Map_643595_7.pdf

Cathy Theisen, DVM
www.cathythevet.net734-864-2381please "like" Veterinary House Calls Ann Arbor on facebook, and feel free to post favorite photos or stories....we love our pets!
You are what your deep, driving desire is. As your desire is, so is your will. As your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny.....Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email tobirders+<unsubscribe...>
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/CABv5-TUuxDa57yKckrCMY9JoHHvXP_0knTWJD9hV0mFGAV%<2BW-w...>
Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email tobirders+<unsubscribe...>
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<C3C3114294EDD93D.6DB8B2E8-68E0-4EE9-A93A-40B15FB9D65A...>**********************************************************
Electronic Mail is not secure, may not be read every day, and should not be used for urgent or sensitive issues--
Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email tobirders+<unsubscribe...>
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<cd8af2201ecf4f04bf7d646441a11e1d...>
Electronic Mail is not secure, may not be read every day, and should not be used for urgent or sensitive issues--
Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email tobirders+<unsubscribe...>
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<4CE90206-1E74-492A-83C2-73936CF65CC9...>

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email tobirders+<unsubscribe...>
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<1542106244.266256.1567091146293...>

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email tobirders+<unsubscribe...>
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<C3C3114294EDD93D.768C99EB-6BF9-4D6F-AFB8-7BA20D171BED...>
Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email tobirders+<unsubscribe...>
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<1135009874.3485.1567112416568...>
Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<DM6PR02MB4827F87E3D5802FFC00BAAEAD2BD0...>

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org