Date: 8/30/19 10:33 am
From: thegarlicks <thegarlicks...>
Subject: Re: [birders] bat removal advice
Thanks for posting this, Jean. The way some viruses can alter behavior is mind-blowing (so to speak!). My heart is with the poor bats, too, but rabies is just such a terrifying disease. I found this book a fascinating read: https://www.amazon.com/Rabid-Cultural-History-Worlds-Diabolical/dp/0143123572

This WaPo article has some stats, and the sidebar adds additional perspective: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/metro/urban-jungle/pages/130507.html

Several years ago we had a roost in our chimney--one night I counted 64 bats leaving the chimney at dusk! I actually hated to disturb them, but all the science and other factors made it clear this was not something a sane person would encourage... We waited till they migrated in the fall, then had everything cleaned out and the chimney re-capped...

Diane Garlick, Augusta

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to birders+<unsubscribe...> .
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/CABv5-TUuxDa57yKckrCMY9JoHHvXP_0knTWJD9hV0mFGAV%<2BW-w...> .

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to birders+<unsubscribe...> .
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<C3C3114294EDD93D.6DB8B2E8-68E0-4EE9-A93A-40B15FB9D65A...> .

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to birders+<unsubscribe...> .
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<cd8af2201ecf4f04bf7d646441a11e1d...> .

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to birders+<unsubscribe...> .
https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<4CE90206-1E74-492A-83C2-73936CF65CC9...>
.

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to birders+<unsubscribe...> .
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<1542106244.266256.1567091146293...> .

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to birders+<unsubscribe...> .
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<C3C3114294EDD93D.768C99EB-6BF9-4D6F-AFB8-7BA20D171BED...> .

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to birders+<unsubscribe...> .
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<1135009874.3485.1567112416568...> .

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to birders+<unsubscribe...> .
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<DM6PR02MB4827F87E3D5802FFC00BAAEAD2BD0...> .

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<2108890786.25879033.1567186338663.JavaMail.zimbra...>

Join us on Facebook!