Date: 8/30/19 5:39 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (29 Aug 2019) Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 7 7

Observation start time: 13:00:00
Observation end time: 19:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S NIGHTHAWK WATCH & THE LAND CONSERVANCY FOR
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY’S HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (9): Hank Davis, Patricia Jacobs, Clyde Jacobs, Mike Fowles,
Evelyn Fowles, Fran DeMillion, Beaty Broughton, Sue McLaughlin.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Sunny (10% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 78 - 69F, Winds WNW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 3-Red-tailed Hawk,
and numerous Black (20) and Turkey Vultures (33).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
Only 8 Killdeer were at the Polo Fields as I checked going past towards
Bucktoe. They were watering half of the field. I spared myself the
trouble of an ebird report. At Bucktoe, a few Cedar Waxwings were a joy to
watch feeding on Pokeberry at our feeders. Hank was out early to hopefully
get some pictures of these beauties. Patricia & Jacob were thrilled with
their presence. They were kind enough to bring me tomatoes. Somehow they
knew that gifts of food and drink are not only welcomed, but encouraged
here at Bucktoe. Mike & Evelyn showed up with their dinner. Fran, Sue,
and Beaty were out to help in the effort, too. Fran also had gifts of
food. Thanks guys!
<BR><BR>
The weather was fantastic, but the birding was slow. The two Nighthawks
seen were just fleeting looks; gone in a flash.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Common Nighthawks, Screech Owl, American Redstart, and Blue Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (10): Monarch - 10, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Eastern Tailed Blue, Clouded Sulphur, Orange
Sulphur, Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple, Silver-spotted Skipper, Red Admiral.
Dragonflies (4): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Wandering Skimmer,
Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern
Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: .46; Steps:
1,075; Floors: 0.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 41; this season:
63
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):”
Screech Owl, American Redstart.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like it might be ok, with light southwest winds
and plenty of sun,
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”