Date: 8/29/19 2:28 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Baird's Sandpipers At Montrose & One Stilt Sandpiper At Techny North Thursday 8-29-19
Hello Bird People,

Well I finally got my year bird Baird's Sandpipers (it's about time!)
& later on at Techny North a lone Stilt Sandpiper was with other
shorebirds I had 7 species of shorebirds at Montrose & 8 species at
Techny North. Total for the day at both places was 11 shorebird
species. Also there was a Forster's Tern at Montrose & 4 species of
Herons/Egrets at Techny North. Here's my lists:

Montrose Beach & Dunes (Yes, the Dunes are open again) (6-8 a,m. & 9:30-10 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (4)
Great Blue Heron (1)
Canada Goose (136, count by Ted W)
Mallard (23)
Green Winged (1) & Blue Winged (1) Teal
Peregrine (1, flying around)
Semipalmated Plover (3) & Killdeer (6)
Sanderling (2)
Least (4), Semipalmated (6) & Pectoral (1) Sandpipers
BAIRD'S SANDPIPER (3, together)
Ring Billed (~75) & Herring (3) Gulls
Caspian (3) & FORSTER'S TERNS (1)
Barn Swallow (~15)
Song Sparrow (1, singing)
Goldfinch (1)

After listening to others talk about land birds at the Hedge I gave it
a try & found 2 species of Vireo's & 5 species of warblers which were
Blackpoll (1), Redstarts (~10), Blackburnian (1),
Northern Waterthrush (8) & Ovenbird (1). Warblers seen by others
included Blue Winged, Canada & Mourning. I heard the Bobwhite call but
only once. Also a fair number of Swainson's Thrushes were seen.

Thanks are in order to John Leonard who went to the trouble of finding
me to tell me about the new arrival Baird's Sandpipers so I could
return & see them. Also thanks to Rich D for the scope views when I
got there. Not sure who to thank for finding them but it may have been
Andrew A?

Air Station Prairie had water but no shorebirds, not one. Kind of a
surprise. The only bird found was 1 Song Sparrow.

Techny North (12:40-1:30 p.m.)

Here I was eventually joined by Jeff B & I got to show him the Stilt
Sandpiper & he showed me a Black Crowned Night Heron.

D.C. Cormorant (2)
Great Blue Heron (3), Great Egret (also 3), Green Heron (1) & Black
Crowned Night Heron (1)
Canada Goose (46), Mallard (21) & Wood Duck (16)
Red Tailed Hawk (only 1 today)
Killdeer (9)
Lesser Yellowlegs (1)
Solitary (4), Spotted (3), Least (3), Semipalmated (1) & Pectoral (1) Sandpipers
STILT SANDPIPER (1, not in breeding plumage but had down curved bill &
a white eye line)
Ring Billed Gull & Caspian Tern (1 each flying)
Chimney Swift (~35-40)
Goldfinch (1)

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Baird's Sandpipers & Runner-Up to the Stilt Sandpiper.

License Plate Of The Day to one from Utah seen parked at Montrose.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: