Date: 8/29/19 1:21 pm
From: Mark Martin <marksuemartin...>
Subject: [wisb] Re: Old Marsh Rd. (Horicon NWR) closing Sunday
Hi
Brand Smith, Mary Hampton and I walked the west half of the Old Marsh Road
this morning. We were disappointed when we spoke with a birder that was
leaving who did not see any ibis. However, when we passed Stony Island
(one mile east of the west parking lot) we found the ibis family 400 feet
north of the road. Other species seen included 9 trumpeter swans, 449
blue-winged teal, 473 mallards, 230 American coots, 11 black-necked stilts,
294 white pelicans, 9 great egrets, 1 black-crowned night heron (seen by
Mary), and 1 peregrine falcon that was hunting.

A very good area to visit before Sunday. I am looking forward to visiting
again with Sue.

Mark Martin
Goose Pond Sanctuary
Arlington

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 11:54 AM Mary Hampton <willowflycatcher...>
wrote:

> Glossy Ibis (4) continue Thursday am.
>
> Mary Hampton
>
> Madison
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Aug 29, 2019, at 8:54 AM, Peter Fissel <pfissel...> wrote:
> >
> > Just a reminder that Saturday, Aug. 31 will be your last chance to hike
> or bike out on the Old Marsh Rd. at Horicon NWR. It's closed to public
> access after August, until the entire refuge opens to hiking in December
> (when there probably won't be any shorebirds or bitterns or ibises
> around...)
> >
> > Peter Fissel
> > Madison WI
> > Visit Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: http://www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn