Date: 8/29/19 12:19 pm
From: Charlie Teske <cteske140...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Nighthawk migration
I would regularly watch them in the marshy portions of the Black River next to Rte 14 when leaving work at 5 from Sterling College in Craftsbury Common. They were headed south toward Hardwick.  Would they follow the lakes along Rte 14 toward Montpelier?  Or the Lamoille to Morrisville and down Ryder Brook toward Stowe?  Does anyone report findings from Eden or Lowell?

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 07:24:35 -0400, Liz Lackey <lackeytomliz...> wrote:

Report from Stowe.
Last night (Aug 27) I saw a total of 65 migrating nighthawks go thru starting at 6:55p and flight ending at 7:20. I was there 6:30 to 7:45p.
Flight was very high. Some times the birds were seen thru the thin cloud layer that was covering most of the sky. Only 3 birds were seen low and foraging. The others were on a mission. Southbound.
Largest group was 32.

I would not have seen any of this high flight from my front porch. I am glad I decided to go to my usual haunt (the parking lot behind the Stowe Community Church) which is just a short walk away.

I’ve lived in Stowe all my life, and never knew I could observe the nighthawk migration from here. I wonder what the numbers were like back in the 1960s? And I would so love to know their route north and south of here. I am just seeing a small piece of it.

Liz Lackey
Stowe

Join us on Facebook!